Raising an invoice as a sole trader

When raising an invoice as a sole trader, do I have to raise it in my name or can I use the title I am trading under. For example if I am John Smith t/a JS Associates, can I just use JS Associates?

There is nothing to stop you raising sales invoices in the business name of JS Associates but you have to consider those customers who pay by cheque – who they would make payment to?

If you have set up your bank account as ‘John Smith Trading as JS Associates’, your bank will accept their cheque made out to JS Associates for credit to the business bank account. If not you could still invoice as JS Associates but you should put on the invoice in a prominent position “Cheques should be made payable to John Smith”.

Once you settle on a style for use you should continue with that style so, for example, if you subsequently register for VAT make sure that the registered trader is in the same style.

Adam Wayland

Adam Wayland

Adam was Editor of SmallBusiness.co.uk from 2006 to 2008 and prior to that was staff writer on sister publication BusinessXL Magazine.

Related Topics


Leave a comment