Founder(s): Charlie and Jean Macsween
Currently owned by: James Macsween
Charlie and Jean Macsween met when they were working at Orr’s butcher in Edinburgh. When Mr Orr died they were encouraged to set up their own business by Mr Orr’s daughter, who gave them a £5,000 loan. They opened their first shop in 1953 and this is where Charlie created the first Macsween haggis and black pudding.
Son John and his wife Kate took over the business when Charlie passed in 1975 and passed it down to son and daughter, James and Jo Macsween. With an ever-expanding product line, James are Kate Macsween are now at the helm as directors.