UPDATED: As lockdown eases, it could cost SMEs hundreds of pounds to fit out their shops so that they are compliant with social distancing guidelines.
The Prime Minister previously announced that non-essential shops can reopen from today (15 June), provided that they have COVID-19 secure measures in place. Seven in ten independent shops will be reopening from today, according to a survey from American Express. The majority (89 per cent) of respondents said they felt confident that they could make the adjustments to make customers feel safe.
For those who don’t, there are loads of resources to turn to.
The BEIS have laid out rules for businesses on how to fit out their shop and operate post-lockdown. Some of the guidelines focus on safety measures to take for your staff and your customers. These include keeping a two-metre distance, only having a certain number of customers in-store at any one time and encouraging staff to wash their hands regularly.
We’ve tallied up the costs of some of the essential items you’ll need to restart your shop-based business.
COVID-19 safety equipment for shops
- Hand sanitiser wall unit – £249
- Alcohol hand sanitiser (500ml) – £9.99
- Carex Liquid Hand Soap Refill Antibacterial Professional Original (5L) – £23.99
- EcoTech Disinfectant Surface Wipes Bucket (500) – £14.99
- ‘Now wash your hands’ sign for staff – £3.99
- Wrap around sneeze guard (70cm) – £79.99
- Wait to be called forward floor sticker (45cm x 45cm) – £9.95
- Office depot warning tape (50mm x 66m) – £5.49
- ‘Please keep your distance’ floor graphic – £5.99
- Black wall-mounted stretch barrier (2.3m) – £140.70
- Vinyl floor stickers – £17.99
Grand total: £614.55
Ways to bring down the price
If you’d prefer not to fork over as much cash, you can make savings by taking a more DIY approach. Try using the tools below to create your own social distancing signage and markings.
- Duck (duct) tape markings to mark out distancing in queues (50m x 50mm) – £6.59 – Screwfix
- 500 sheets of white A4 paper for writing signs – £2.85
- SCHNEIDER Permanent Marker Maxx marker pens – 75p per pen
You can also get guidance and money off goods if you become a member of the British Independent Retail Association (Bira).